Institute of Zoology, GDAS
Case name: Artificial cultivation and production technology for Chinese cordyceps
1. Characteristics of the achievements:
Key problems breakthrough:
(1) Large-scale cultivation technology of the Hepialus/Thitarodes host insect of Ophiocordyceps sinensis at low altitude
(2) Artificial cultivation of Ophiocordyceps sinensis fruiting bodies
(3) Artificial cultivation technology of Ophiocordyceps sinensis fungi.
Novelty and advancement of achievements:
(1) Established a large-scale culture technique for the host insect of Ophiocordyceps sinensis - ghost moths under a controllable environment at low altitude
(2) Successfully obtained Chinese cordyceps fruiting bodies on artificial medium
(3) Obtaining cost-effective Chinese cordyceps products with the same medicinal value and appearance as wild stains.
2. Application field of transformation results:
3. Social and economic effects:
- Help protect and sustainably use the characteristic resources of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau
- Reinforce the ecological safety barrier of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau
- Meet the booming market demand and promote human health
- Produce huge social and economic benefits.
4. Contribution to national strategy:
The research results have been applied for international patents and achieved a leading position in this field. The industrial application of the project results will help protect and sustainably use the characteristic resources of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, and strengthen the ecological security barrier of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau.
Fig. 1 Artificial cultivated fruiting bodies of Chinese cordyceps
Fig. 2 Lab reared Thitarodes armoricanus at different life stages